Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Exception


My rule is love stories whether in books or movies have to end with a happily-ever-after or else I will be terribly disappointed and will rant for days, sometimes weeks and months, about how wrong the writer was to end the story without a HEA.

Last night I watched the movie that proved to be the exception to my rule. Instead of ranting, I am raving about this film and encouraging everyone I know to see this movie.

This love story is based on a real life story and the message of love and acceptance was strong and true. I know everyone who watches this untraditional love story will be moved.

Please add Soldier's Girl to the top of your Netflix queue.

This powerful drama tells the true story of a young soldier, Pfc. Barry Winchell (Troy Garity), who meets and falls for a beautiful transgendered nightclub performer (Lee Pace) while on a drunken outing with fellow soldiers. Winchell's relationship is frowned upon by the other soldiers -- and eventually leads to tragedy at the hands of his homophobic roommate. Garity and Pace both earned Independent Spirit nods for their performances. (Movie description from Netflix.)

If you don't use Netflix, you can buy Soldier's Girl at Amazon.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a sad, sad movie! And I'm the exact opposite of you, I usually LOVE tragic romances.

    Based on a true story, though, that makes it extra sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extremely sad, even my hubby had tears in his eyes.

    You definitely have to watch this one if you love tragic romances.

    And the Netflix video has interviews with the actors and even the actual woman portrayed in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Suzanne,

    Sounds like a movie I'd like. I have to admit that I sometimes get bored with HEA. The stories that I consider most "romantic" are actually those with tragic endings.

    I have a story I wrote a long time ago called "Butterfly". It's about a construction worker in Thailand who falls in love with a transgendered bar girl. He can't handle the truth when she reveals her history. Despite the fact that he loves her, he rejects her, torn between passion and disgust.

    Sad. But romantic.

    Warmly,
    Lisabet

    http://www.lisabetsarai.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisabet,
    Did you publish Buttefly? Is it still available? Sounds romantically tragic.

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm renting this tonight!!!

    Okay, I'm not (I have some reading I must get done), but on my next outing to the rental store, I'm so checking out Soldier's Girl!!!

    Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll definitely add this to my Netflix queu. I'm writing a transgender romance so my editor told me about this movie and told me to check out your blog about it.

    ReplyDelete